G will be starting kindergarten this fall. G’s school has a “uniform policy” that reads more like a dress code. Basically all shirts must have collars; each item must be a solid color (no designs, patterns, or labels) but any color is acceptable; and dresses must have sleeves if worn alone. I’m still unclear as to whether dresses must have collars as well…fingers crossed they don’t.
August seems like a world away right now. But, if our calender stays…July and early August are set to rocket by for us. I’ve decided to try to chip away at a few things that will be worn to school before it is the last minute.
Today, I started with a basic white blouse. In my opinion no wardrobe is complete without one. Among other things, mom recently gifted me a partial bolt of 100% cotton oxford. Unfortunately it was circa late 80s-early 90s, so even after laundry magic I had to cut around stains. I did manage to get this blouse and one for me out of it. I wanted to blog this one immediately so I can replicate what I did. I don’t have modeled shots b/c my sweet model is sick today, but it is super adorable on and the fit is perfect. G requested pink linen for the next one.
I started with Children’s corner Louise for my basic blouse and collar base. G wears a size 4 in CC, but I cut a 5 because their blouse patterns have very little ease as they are mostly intended to wear under dresses. I wanted this one to be able to be worn alone also. Here are the alterations I made..
- added 2″ length – then turned up hem 3/4″ and 3/4″ again
- used sleeves from CC Kitty – but hemmed with a bias and no piping
- used the collar piece marked “for 1/2″ trim” but used 1/4″ self piping
- cut neck out 1/4″ (I basted the collar and then stitched a line and trimmed off 1/4″ before attaching neck binding – this was easier than re-drawing my collar) – G always complains that CC patterns are too tight in the neck if I don’t do this
- cut line halfway up chest and split the front (adding the 1/4″ s.a. back)
- moved the fold line on the bottom portion of the front 1″ in from the fold to make the gathers
- lined the top yoke to enclose the yoke and shoulder seams
- topstitched every place I could
- next time cut neck binding a little smaller to make it a bit neater
- Double check pattern piece for back of collar b/c didn’t quite meet enough – dont use one meant for trim.
I’ll finish with a few other shots that may or may not be easier to see the detail. I think I need to start taking my work all the way outdoors for photos.